Pages

Friday, October 7, 2011

My Journey

I don't think there has been a time when I haven't felt fat.  When I was in Jr. high school I was what I would now consider  to be "not fat", but even at that time - I thought I was fat.  After I got married and had children it just got worse.  I let myself put on the pounds and keep them.   At some point, I had a divorce and that seemed to be a springboard to gain even more weight.  It was like I was blanketing myself to protect myself from getting close to anyone. 










 March 2008

Then in August 2008, I had to go the doctor (who I avoided) because my knee was hurting me and I thought I had perhaps torn something.  What happened was I was told that I needed to lose weight (of course).  I had degenerative arthritis in my knee.  I also had  high blood pressure and was pre-diabetic.  I was put on medication.  That was not what I wanted to hear!  So I started playing around trying to diet, but I didn't really put my heart into it. Over the next year I lost about 15 - 20 lbs.    

 July 2009

 
 November 2009

This picture was taken about a month before I started my serious journey to losing weight.  I'm not sure what it was  that made me get serious, but I realize now that unless your mind is involved, you won't lose all that you want.  The first couple months were the most difficult with cravings, but then it wasn't too much of a struggle to stay on my diet.   In fact instead of a diet, it was more of a lifestyle change.
I did not make a big deal out of my diet and did not really tell anyone what I was doing. Sadly, I lost about an additional 45 lbs before anyone at work- even friends- noticed. 

 June 2010   total lost  = 75 lb

I kept losing about 2 - 3 lbs a week.  That  summer I started walking in the neighborhood in the evenings with a friend.  I wanted to get myself in a habit of exercise.   We would walk about 20 - 30 minutes and that was a good thing until the heat & humidity of summer set in.  Exercise outside fell off and I went back to just my normal activity throughout the day.

 November 2010    total lost = 115


Nearly one year after I had started seriously on my lifestyle change, I had lost 115 lbs.  From my heaviest weight I was down 130 lbs.   Big problem now was my clothes.  I had lost so much  that it imperative that I get some new clothes.  Especially shirts.  All my shirts hung on me and looked horrible.  I had some skirts that I could wear and fold over and pin, and I bought a pair of jeans.  I didn't want to buy too much because I still wanted to lose more weight.   I had a way to go, but I now also began to think about what my goal weight should be. 

 April 2011

In February, I went off my medication for high blood pressure.  Losing weight had made my pressure go back to the normal range.  I also had not been bothered by the arthritis in my knee for several months.  In April I joined a gym and began to do strength training and some cardio. I tried to get to the gym 4 - 5 times a week.  I noticed quickly results from working out.  I had been having some stress at work and this helped control the stress.  My weight went into a plateau - either from the stress, or it was just one of those things.  However, I was losing inches and toning up. 

 June 2011


 August 2011  total  lost = 135 lbs


In July, blood tests were done and I compared my current numbers with past numbers. Everything was in normal ranges.  I no longer was pre-diabetic, my cholesterol was excellent, and my blood pressure continues to stay in the normal range.  Losing weight has gained me health.  Other changes were happening.  I changed my environment at work -  the stress was more than it was worth- and I took a wonderful vacation to visit  family I haven't seen in years.  My weight loss is still on a plateau - it stays within a 10 lb range.  I still want to losse an additional 50 - 60 lbs.  After my vacation, I have struggled with getting back into the gym routine. I've had a lot  of transitions, so I am giving myself some slack with the gym and with the fact that I haven't lost any more significant weight for awhile.  After all, it is a journey.  I'm in it for the long haul.  As soon as my life settles down some and my mind and body align, I know the weight will begin to drop as long as I continue with healthy habits.




 September 2011 

Total Lost = 130 lbs, 71.5 inches
My Journey ...to be continued









No comments: