Pages

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Having a Gym Back-Up Plan


I've been struggling to get to the gym lately, so I decided to backup my gym workouts with these exercise workouts:
  • Slim in 6 is a daily program of  2 week steps gradually getting more difficult and strenuous as time goes on. When combined with their nutrition guidelines, you are promised a slimmer you in six weeks if you are faithful. 
  • Zumba Fitness for Wii is the Latin dance party including a tutorial formatted for the Wii.  It comes with a belt that you wear around your waist that holds the remote.  More belts are available from the Zumba website if you want to have a multiplayer game.   

Going to the gym can be intimidating for someone who is heavy.  It seems that you're surrounded by fit, young, healthy bodies all staring at you -- the fatty, sweaty one who'd look more comfortable with a twinkie in her hand than a dumbbell.
It took a lot to get me to go the gym.  I began going to the gym in April.  It took me about 6 months to decide which gym to join.   I researched all the gyms in my area to decide which one would fit my needs the best. I looked at these criteria:
  1. cost - I chose a gym that gave a discount for my employer
  2. hours - originally my gym was open 24 hours,  I want to be able to go in the "off" hours
  3. features - my gym has classes, weights, pool, basketball courts
  4. ambience, atmosphere - my gym has a friendly atmosphere, not a lot of "hard bodies" strutting around when I am there
  5. location - close to my home so I can go there right from work or quickly from home
 I did very well - I went 5 times a week through July and I even got a friend motivated to join me. Then in August I was going to go on vacation and I spent a week preparing and didn't go to the gym.  The next 3 weeks I was on vacation and didn't go.  When I returned, I had to unpack and then I also had jet lag for awhile and I didn't go for a couple weeks.  This was 6 weeks of no gym at all!  I tried to get back in the routine, but I am finding it difficult to get there more than 2 times a week.  The friend who joined last summer has also gotten very busy at work and hasn't been able to get there either.

I hope that I get my act together and get myself back to the gym proper. But on those days when I don't get to the gym I have no excuses for not exercising - I will be doing the  Wii Zumba and the workouts from Slim in 6.

No comments: