Pages

Friday, February 24, 2012

Regain



In recent posts, I have shared how losing weight is both a physical and mental process .  I also shared some of the things I have learned during my journey.  In future posts, I will continue to share my physical and mental processes as I travel down this road called weight loss. 

But today, I tell you that I have had some regain.  I read that regain is very typical-- and I do NOT want to be back where I was.  Since last summer, I have gained about 40 - 50 pounds. I hate it and yet I have not stopped it or reversed it. I am hoping that by writing about it, I can focus enough to get myself back on the track to where I want to be. 

There are many reasons for my regain besides the obvious - eating too much.  I have had some transitions and stresses that have upset the apple cart.  I am an emotional eater and I turn to food for comfort-- it is always there--doesn't change, or judge.  There is something soothing about chewing down on a hunk of bread.  I don't consciously set out to find comfort in food- but hindset reflection reveals that is exactly what I do.  I am even guilty of the "I deserve to eat this . "  The next day or week as I step on the scale I feel horrible and I resolve not to let it happen again.  But it does.  

I also have had a change in my schedule and food is available to me nearly all day long.  Before I had arranged my schedule so that I was unable to get food even if I were hungry --it simply was not in my immediate environment. I find that I have some mindless eating going on now. 


I believe some of it is due to the mental process of losing weight and I am still trying to figure out why.  Am I trying to sabotage myself unconsiously? 

The positives:
I am still down 70-80 pounds, but I have seen what it is like to be lower.....
I will get back to where I was and I will surpass it. 

More later......

Have you ever had regain on your journey?  Do you know why and what did you do to reverse it?

1 comment:

PlumPetals said...

Yes, I have experienced a regain and I'm still working through it now --- I dropped about 70 pounds and regained almost 30 :( I'm still working to get rid of that 30 and keep working until I hit my target.

It is SO difficult but I just gotta keep at it ... the mental struggle is sometimes so much more difficult to handle than the physical effort it takes to lose weight!