Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Physical Process



Yesterday I wrote how losing weight is both a physical and mental process.

For me the most difficult part of losing 130 pounds was in the first 6 - 8 weeks.  It was during this time that I had cravings and had to train myself to eat differently.  At some point the hunger either stopped or I was successful in ignoring it.  

Immediately I stopped drinking soda-- but I really didn't drink that much, so it wasn't that difficult.  Harder choices were cutting way back on processed foods, breads, and added sugar. 

Along the way I discovered that sugar has a downward spiraling effect on me.   By accident I discovered this, of course.  At work I attended a baby shower for a colleague,  I had some cake with frosting.  For the next three days I binged on food- I was constantly hungry and couldn't seem to satisfy a deep craving.   After three days I realized that what I was doing and determined that the frosting was what set me off.   Now that I knew this, you would think I could avoid it happening again--- but no.  I have my weak times and when I let sugar entice me, I end up paying by eating ... and it seems to be unconscious.  I have to "wake up" and force myself to stop.  Then it takes a few days to get back to where I am not thinking about food at all hours of the day.    I know what I want to do, but I do what I don't want to do.  There are always consequences to pay. 

Other things I have learned about myself along this journey:
  • I need to be sure I get enough protein. If I don't, my weight loss slows down.
  • I need to get enough sleep--which for me is 7 -8 hours a night.
  • I need to be able to eat whatever I want--in moderation of course.  If I restrict myself, I rebel and eat it anyway and more.
  • I really don't need to eat in the evenings after dinner.  I have a habit of wanting to snack, but it is just a habit. 
  • I need to pay attention to the signals my body sent me.  Only eat when I am actually hungry.  Stop when I am no longer hungry.  No clean plate club for me.  It is okay to go out with friends and only have ice tea or coffee. 
These are my truths.  They may or may not work for others. 

What have you discovered about yourself on your weight loss journey ?

1 comment:

PlumPetals said...

I can totally relate! My first two goals are the same as yours - get enough protein and more sleep! Unfortunately I struggle with both!

Good luck hitting your targets!