Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Walk

I'm trying to walk daily in my neighborhood instead of walking on a treadmill in the gym.  But if I don't get up and get out there early enough, the daily chores around the house start calling to me or the errands that rule my day take me from it. 

I have a system.  I wear a pair of capris-type sweatpants that have pockets--very important to have the pockets! An old t-shirt tops it off.  I pull hair back into a pony-tail and put on a pair of small hoop earrings.  I hate going out without my earrings!  Anklet sweat socks and tennis shoes round out my fashion wear.

The equipment I take with me include my smartphone with headphones.  The phone is to call someone in case of emergency or to take any important calls that I may get during my time out.  The headphones are so that I can listen to either music from my playlist or a podcast from one of the few that I subscribe to.   As I walk, my smartphone is kept in one of my pockets.

In my other pocket is my garage door opener and a kleenex tissue.  If I leave through the garage, then I do not have to take my keys with me and worry about losing them or hearing them jingle.  All I have to do is stick my hand in my pocket and push the button to open or close the garage door.  I started keeping a kleenex in my pocket because sometimes I find my nose runs when I walk.  Does that happen to anyone else??

I try to walk at least 30 minutes a day and some days I walk more.  There are sprinklers, some cracked sidewalks, overhanging trees, and even some dog poo to avoid.    The terrain has some hills and some of it is flat regardless of which route I take.

What I have noticed over this month is that I have increased my natural pace a little bit and it is also a little easier to go up the hills.  I do not get quite out of breath as much.  I guess that means progress!

What progress are you noticing with what you are doing?  

No comments: